There have been come changes for taking sick leave. Please see full details at
The main changes are as follows:-
Please see key points below:
- If employees are off work for 28 days or less, after 10 December 2021 they do not need to give their employer a fit note or other proof of sickness from a medical professional.
- If they started their sick leave before 10 December 2021, they must give proof if they’ve been ill for more than 7 days.
- If employees are self-isolating and cannot work because of coronavirus (COVID-19) they can get an ‘isolation note’ online from NHS 111. They do not have to go to their GP or a hospital.
- Fit notes are free if the employee has been ill for more than 28 days when they ask for one. The doctor might charge a fee if they ask for the fit note earlier. If the employee’s illness started before 10 December 2021, they can get a free fit note after 7 days.
- Employers can take a copy of the fit note. The employee should keep the original.
Complete this form to find out what you need to do.